Quilt Mania II -- Piece by Piece

I met some friends from studio Q at the Arlington Museum of Art this afternoon. The museum is hosting an exhibit of quilts by contemporary Texas artists. It is part of Quilt Mania II, a multi-venue quilt exhibit, which is currently taking place in the Dallas area.

The exhibit was fabulous. Many well known Texas fiber artists were represented: Jane Dunnewold, Connie Scheele, Lix Axford, Susie Monday. I particulary enjoyed the works of Jack Brockette, beautiful pieces consisting of filmy layers of silk organza joined with 1/8" french seams. I am very intrigued by the thought of a loose layer of organza over a more traditionally pieced quilt, as well as the transperency of a quilt pieced entirely of organza. Techniques that I may need to explore.

One of Jack's quilts:

And there were three amazing quilts by my friend Susie Monday. I'll have to ask her if I can post photos of one or two of them here.

All in all, a very stimulating afternoon.

Comments

Stitchwhiz said…
Oh yes Quilt Mania II in Arlington. It's on my list of things to do and I know I don't have much time - I'll go check it out this week. What a great concept - Quilt Mania II! We are so lucky to live here in DFW.