Baby, it's cold outside!

And inside, too.

Here in North Texas we're in the middle of our first cold snap. Our first freeze is expected either this morning or in the early hours of Saturday morning. We may even get a little snow. All very seasonal -- great for putting me in the Christmas spirit. I enjoy cold weather, and love nothing better than curling up in my nice warm house with a book and a cup of tea when the outside temperature plummets.

But one problem -- our ancient furnace has ceased to function. We have a monstrous unit -- a combination heater and air conditioner -- that serves the ground story of our house. When I turned it on last week it worked, but sounded rather funny. The repairman came out yesterday and gave me the bad news -- not only was it not functioning properly, but it was a hazard to run. Leaking carbon monoxide like a sieve. Sorry, ma'am, you cannot use the furnace in it's current state. And just to make sure we couldn't use it, he took it apart.

By the time he had declared the furnace dead, the inside temperature was down to 62 degrees. This morning it is 54 in the living room, and just slightly warmer in the kitchen (57).

Luckily, the house has a second furnace that heats the two upstairs rooms. My studio and the guest bedroom. Brian and I camped out in the studio last night, eating dinner while sitting on my small love seat. And if it gets too cold tonight, we can sleep in the guest room (we opted for the chilly master bedroom last night, adding a feather duvet to our bed for warmth).

The new furnace will be installed next Wednesday. Until then, brrrr!

Comments

Cynthia said…
I am here in Austin at work and keep looking out the window anticpating the snow that is forecasted (I know it is a long stretch, but sure would be nice).
Jaye said…
Br-r-r, indeed!! I guess we know what Santa can bring you all for Christmas!!! Snuggling is also good for keeping warm!
Fannie said…
Hope you're keeping warm, Heather. Merry Christmas to you and your family.