Another Figure Study

No more excuses.  Back into the studio for me!  The air conditioning unit in the studio works much better than the old one ever did.  I always had to abandon ship in the late afternoon on hot days.  With the sewing machine (Bernina and/or Gammill), iron and lights, the temperature would creep up into the mid-eighties.  We knew we needed a bigger a/c, but it took a breakdown to force us to actually get it.

So I crept back into the studio this week.  I say crept, because I've lost my drive to work since the whole a/c debacle started.  Before the forced inactivity (studio-wise) I had a terrific work ethic -- up after  breakfast, short break for lunch, back until B got home from his office.  But now, anything else sounds like much more fun.  Even housework.  As a result, I have a very clean house, a well-weeded garden and some newly organized closets.

Perhaps I needed a break.  

I decided to start small.  This piece is about 40" x 40".  I drew a small figure sketch, pulled a few fabrics and got to work.
Very southwestern palette, isn't it?  Not my usual.  One disclaimer:  I pinned it up over the beginnings of another piece, one that was not sewn together.  So it looks lumpy.  It really isn't.

I'm not sure what I think of this piece.  I may need to crop it down a bit.  What do you think?

I'm linking this post to Nina-Marie's Off the Wall Friday, Richard and Tanya's Quilts Link a Finish Friday and Crazy Mom Quilts Finish it up Friday.  Go see all the wonderful work there!

Comments

Jaye said…
Love the colors! Glad you are able to get back into your studio!! And to have it even better to work in! I also just looked at your last blog and loved seeing the portfolio of quilts! Outstanding!!!
Sara said…
How fun to work on a piece like this! Sadly I have no advice on a quilt like this:( I think it looks really cool though:)
Sylvia said…
Glad you were able to get your mojo back. I am having trouble with that, but I am not doing any housework to make up for it! :)

Love the colors of this piece.
Hi, Heather. Very pleasing colors, something about the turquoise and orange bouncing off of each other. I like your use of solids as well. Lots of possibilities here.
best, nadia
Lisa Chin said…
The colors are very nice and you have some motion going on as well that adds to the piece. I look forward to seeing where you go next.
Nina Marie said…
I totally know what you mean about losing your momentum. One of the reasons I started OTWF was that if I didn't work every week - I had to report it to you all! love the start - and the palette is one of my fav's!
Mary Keasler said…
The southwestern colors look great. Keep going and forget about that housework stuff! No doubt you will make the right decisions on to cut or not to cut. Looking forward to seeing more. Keep that mojo workin'