Tuning Fork #12

Back in the studio this week after a wonderful vacation!  I sent in my entries for the Trinity Valley Quilt Guild (TVQG) show right before we left for Wisconsin.  Four of the six quilts I entered were still tops. Time to do some intensive quilting!

I decided to start with Tuning Fork #12.  I finished quilting it yesterday.  
Tuning Fork #12, 47" x 67"
Some detail shots:



The quilting is spaced 1/4" and less apart.  I love the look of dense quilting, but it did take forever to quilt. Two very long days.  

On Monday, I worked on piecing a quilt for the TVQG small quilt auction.  
Auction Quilt,  15" x 20"
Three more pieces to quilt for the show (including the auction quilt) and then I'll have a lot of binding to finish.  But I have until September, and I find a deadline really gets me motivated.

I'm linking this post to Nina-Marie's Off the Wall Friday, Richard and Tanya's Quilts Link a Finish Friday and Crazy Mom Quilts Finish it up Friday.  Go see all the wonderful work there!

Comments

Sharon Robinson said…
Hi Heather - I'm a relatively new reader of your blog, but love your quilts! I too am about to immerse myself in quilting all those piled up tops, and I have a question for you - on improv, freehand quilts like your Tuning Forks, do you align those 1/4" wide lines with any of the seams or do you just ignore the piecing lines. I love that dense quilting!
Julia Graber said…
I really like your "Tuning Fork" quilt. It reminds me of Uncle Lloyd and Uncle Enos who would use them to lead our congregation in accapella singing.
The intense vertical quilting you chose for Tuning Forks breaths life into the quilt. I can feel the tuning forks vibrating.
Heather Pregger said…
Sharon, I square up (more or less) the quilt when I finish piecing. I try to make sure that the two sides that are parallel to the lines I intend to quilt are, well, parallel. Then to quilt it, I start on one side and quilt a straight line using the edge as my guide. I parallel that line all of the way across the quilt and don't really care about the seam lines -- I don't use a ruler when I piece so I don't have totally straight lines.
anyadahab said…
I love the tuning fork quilt. Not only is the design wonderful, the quilting is the perfect complement. Beautiful!
Heidi Staples said…
Love your Tuning Fork Quilt!
Love. It. The quilting. The brights against the dark. The tuning fork shapes. Love it.
All I can say is wow! Love the design, fabrics and quilting is perfect. Great work and very inspiring.
I love how the colors seem to be dancing across the quilt. Nicely done!
Norma Schlager said…
Just fabulous, the colors, the energy and the dense quilting is the frosting on the cake. I love it!
Norma Schlager said…
Back again, this time with a question. What color thread did you use for the quilting? Did you change thread to match the colors? It looks terrific, no matter why you did.
Hi, Heather. The Tuning Fork is a knock-out. Love that tight quilting.
best, nadia
I've only just found your blog through Nina-Marie's 'Off the Wall' blog. What lovely work you do, and your use of colour in the Tuning Forks quilt is fantastic!
Heather Pregger said…
Norma, I used a medium gray thread. I think it was called "Ash" (although I think of ash gray as light, it was definitely medium) by Perma Core. It is 40 weight.
That quilt is seriously fantastic!!!
Yvonne Campbell said…
This quilt is perfect. I love modern.