Trinity Valley Quilt Guild 2013 Show

I've just returned from the awards ceremony at the TVQG annual quilt show.  


Tuning Fork #12 won first place!  And, to make my day complete, String Theory won second, Ruins #1 won third and ModLogs won an honorable mention.

There were some beautiful quilts in the art category -- honestly, I wasn't the only entrant.  I am totally overwhelmed by my awards.

And, honestly, feeling a little guilty.  I am currently taking a class on goal setting from Lisa Call, and during our first week we are examining our "be do have" list and our underlying core values.  I have no trouble with the "do" list and the "have" list, but the "be" list has me stumped.  What am I?  The other day someone asked me what I do and my answer was, "I'm kind of an artist."  Why did I say that?  I have sold quilts, exhibited in galleries, been in national quilts shows, even won awards in national quilt shows and I still say that I am kind of an artist.  Why do I feel like such a fraud when I say I am an artist?

Comments

Norma Schlager said…
I know what you mean. I also have a hard time and usually say "I'm a fiber artist" and then have to explain the whole thing. But we ARE artists and should be proud of it. You know that I love your work. Kudos on your well deserved ribbons!
Jaye said…
I agree with Norma....You are best known artist in your field that I know!!! And...congratulations on your sweep...i am sorry to say I am missing the whole show this year...we just got back in town this evening and I have too much to do the next couple of days to get in for it. Please post more pictures of your other entries! See you at studioQ in a week or so?
Congrats on all the prizes--great affirmation!!

I think it's maybe harder to say "I'm an artist" if that comes after years of having another identity. How about answering "I make art"? I think saying that for a while might effect a transition to "I am an artist"
mad elena said…
Heather, you are an artist to the bone!
Congratulations on the guild show sweep. You didn't let anyone else get a ribbon, did you?! You've been ready for prime time for a long time.

I have no problem calling myself an artist. But hesitate when queried. It often becomes a multi-step answer. No, I'm not a painter, I work with fabric. If "quilt" comes out, then there's the immediate association with function, i.e. bed quilts, rather than art. Depending on the company, sometimes I'd rather keep quiet.
Heather Pregger said…
Ellen, perhaps that part of the problem. The medium is generally considered crafty. And peoples' eyes glaze over when I launch into my explanation of "art quilting". I've started to carry small pictures of a few of my quilts, and I am very proud of myself, I actually pulled them out when someone asked about my work last night. They weren't what she expected, she looked very surprised.