The quilt that just won't end!

I can't believe it!  Just when I thought I was finished with the quilt I was calling "Subdivisions #3," and was ready to move on to some very necessary quilting, I find that I am still working on it.  This has consumed my entire week, darn it!

It all started at Kyra's house in Round Rock.  I set up my sewing machine in a corner of her sewing room, and started piecing a small quilt for the studioQ color palette challenge #9.  I absolutely loved the colors.  Well, of course I did.  It was my turn to chose the palette.  I had the piece nearly done when I left Kyra's last Friday and came home.
 On Monday, I put the quilt on my design wall (along with Tuning Fork #23, which I REALLY REALLY need to quilt).  I still liked it, so I decided to finish it before I started the work I SHOULD be doing.  Much more fun to do work that you shouldn't be doing.
 I finished the quilt formerly known as Subdivisions #2 on Monday.  When I stood back and looked at it, I decided I didn't really like it.  Too chippy choppy, big gray blob.  Hmmmm.  So, as I posted earlier this week, I decided to take a mulligan.
 On Tuesday, I started Subdivisions #3.  A lot better, I think.
 On Wednesday, I was still working on it.  And it kept getting bigger.
 And bigger.  Until I finally finished the top this morning.  It's ok.  Not my  most original piece, but ok.
And then I made the mistake of pinning Subdivisions #2 below it.  Darn it!  I think they work better together.  Even the gray blob makes more sense.

Which means that I am, after all, not done with this quilt.  I need to do a bit more piecing.  And it's going to be pretty big.  It's about 55" in length at the moment.

But it will have to wait.  I need to quilt TF #22 and TF #23.  So while I'm quilting, I'll be looking up periodically at these two (now one) on my design wall, and I'll be wishing I could finish them/it.  It'll have to wait until next week.....

Comments

Norma Schlager said…
Yes!! The two pieces look fabulous together and I can see why you want to make it bigger. Don't you just love it when a piece talks to you and tells you what it needs? You were right to listen to this one.
Sylvia said…
I love the way your subdivisions keep growing!Sometimes you have to work on what makes your heart sing!
Love your subdivisions pieces. I made a poor attempt at a similar piece a couple of years ago. I think I need to pull it out and reevaluate it.
Claire said…
A most interesting process. Your subconscious can keep designing while you quilt. BTW, I just saw Tuning Fork #11 at Quilt!Knit!Stitch. Wow! Not only did I like it, but I overheard some nice comments too about interaction of colors. Cheers!
You have turned this into a fabulous quilt! And I see some new strong shapes here that you were developing earlier this summer.
Hi, Heather. Yes, gorgeous--the two subdivisions are meant to be together. Wonderful colors and its interesting to see the warm colors with the grey.
best, nadia