It's been way too long!

I admit it.  I've been in full blog avoidance.  It isn't that I've been too busy -- ive been just the right amount of busy, working in my studio, dyeing fabric, silk screening and having a really good time.  I just haven't sat down at my computer and written a post.  So let's catch up!

First of all, let me tell you that I have two quilts in a show at the Brazos Gallery in Dallas.  It's a fiber show, not a quilt show, and there are some really wonderful pieces of art displayed.  It ends this coming Sunday, so if you want to see it, get over there this week!
Since we came home from Cape Cod, I've been working on a large tuning fork.  This piece differs from my past tuning fork quilts in two significant ways. It is a landscape, inspired by a photo I took of the salt marsh near my father-in-law's home on the Cape. And I am trying hard to obscure the tuning fork unit. I don't want the shape to jump out at the viewer, but rather for the shapes to blend together to make an overall picture.  Here is the inspiration picture:
And here is the piece so far:
As of Friday, the top left portion of sky and a large section of the bottom right "dune" are sewn together.

I've also made several small pieces.  The Fort Worth fiber group has just started a new monthly challenge.  Each month we make a 12" x 15" composition based on an existing work of art.  The October piece was Van Gogh's chair:
And my version.  I loved the palette and the way Van Gogh outlined the shapes with a thin line of contrasting color:
This month, we were asked to use "The Tear" by K. Madison Moore, which she based on "The Kiss" by Gustav Klimt.  You can see a picture of the painting here. Yes, we were challenged to do piece inspired by a painting that was inspired by something else.  Hmmm.  Anyway, I wanted to totally reduce the painting to an abstract form, and this is what I came up with:
And then I made a small diptych with the "leftovers."
Now I'm in Houston for International Quilt Festival.  I've come to see my pieces hanging in the show and to reconnect with old friends.  And to make a few new ones. I'll report on my Houston adventure in my next post.


Comments

Mary Keasler said…
Your new tuning fork is super. I love how you translate your photos. I am heading to Houston today and can't wait to see your pieces hanging there!!!!

Would you mind sharing with me where to find that great looking dining establishment? I would love to find some great southwestern cuisine and that looks perfect.
Heather Pregger said…
Thanks, Mary!

I'm afraid Maria and I weren't at a Mexican/southwestern restaurant. That picture was taken at Brian O'Neills Irish Pub near Rice University.

Heather
Norma Schlager said…
I'm sorry that I missed you at Houston. It seemed like every time I turned around, there was another quilt by you. They all looked fabulous!
Heather Pregger said…
Norma, I can't believe we didn't run into each other! There were only 10,000 people there!

Seriously, I would have loved to see you. Are you going to the SAQA conference in Philadelphia?