New Work

I finished quilting 3 new pieces today.  All were pieced in February as part of the studioQ monthly masterpiece inspiration challenge.

The piece chosen that month was Abstraction by Piet Mondrian.  Simple and elegant.
Piet Mondrian, "Abstraction," Kimbell Art Museum, Fort Worth
Mondrian was well known for his use of white, black and primary colors.  So I decided to stick with that palette. And I decided to use my favorite unit, the tuning fork, to make the first piece.

As I mentioned in my Art With Fabric Blog Hop post, although I still use the tuning fork units, the shape of the tuning fork is no longer easy to pick out in the piece.  They have become very indistinct and blendy, which I am finding a lot of fun to work with.  So, here is my first piece, "T with Mondrian (Tuning Fork #30)."  Thanks, Nikki Mahaffey, for the name suggestion!
T with Mondrian, 22" x 28"
T with Mondrian, detail
I had so much fun with the first one, I decided to make a small (12" x 12") piece to donate to the SAQA Benefit Auction.  This is "RePiet (Tuning Fork #33)".  This quilt will be auctioned in September to fund the Studio Art Quilt Associates exhibition and publication programs.  Click on the link above for more information.
RePiet, 12" x 12"
For the last Mondrian inspired piece, I decided to try something else.  So I did some improvisational cutting, slicing and sewing.  It was great fun!  And the result is the following piece, "Climbing"

Climbing, 17" x 32"
Climbing, detail
On a totally unrelated note, we are having an amazing showing from our orchid plants this year.  I don't know what I'm doing right, but eight of the plants are in bloom right now.  That's exactly 50%.  Amazing.  Here is a picture of two of them:
 I'm linking this post to Nina-Marie's Off the Wall FridayFriday Fabric FrenzyConfessions of a Fiber Addict and Crazy Mom Quilts Finish it up Friday.  Go see all the wonderful work there!

Comments

Unknown said…
Love this new work Heather. All three designs are full of energy.
Anonymous said…
Beautiful! I immediately thought Frank Lloyd Wright!!!
Yes, very modern and Frank Lloyd wright - ish. I do like the Mondrian works for some reason they sing and I'm not usually a modern art abstract kind of gal. You did the style proud!
Calicojoan said…
What a fun piece. I'm very drawn to the modern look these days. Looks like fun to quilt too!
Jayne said…
I really never tire from seeing your work! This is really gorgeous!
Preeti said…
Gorgeous!! Love the matchstick quilting!!
Mary Marcotte said…
Beautiful quilt and quilting! I love that you explain your inspiration. It's always interesting to find out how others find inspiration and then move from that to their own work. Thanks so much for sharing and especially for sharing your gorgeous quilts!
When I say the pale background with sparks of jewel tones I wondered what had lead you to change your palette so dramatically. Didn't think of Mondrian - but of course he makes a perfect sense. Like the new direction.
Regina B Dunn said…
I love the very crisp look of your latest works. I can almost see large tuning fork shapes in your photo of the orchids, too.