Eastham Salt Marsh Quilt-- and Thoughts About Donating Art

Maria Shell, who blogs at "Tales of a Stitcher," wrote an interesting post last week about donating art.  You can read it here.  It really resonated with me, because this is the time of year that I am approached several times a month to donate.  

Several years ago, I was asked to donate a piece to a local animal shelter for a silent auction held during their annual fundraising banquet.  I said yes -- after all, I love animals and I wanted to help.  I sent an art quilt, roughly 2' x 3', hoping it would make some money for them.  It did, but not a lot, and to top it off, the buyer sent me a photo of her dog sleeping on it.  I found it highly distressing.

Obviously the wrong audience for my work.

So I have learned to say no.  And I, like Maria, only donate art to groups that I know will appreciate and value my work.  And groups that I have a personal connection with.

So who have I donated pieces to this fall?

International Quilt Association's annual fundraising silent auction, held during International Quilt Festival in Houston.  My quilt, Eastham Salt Marsh, will be available during the show, between November 2 and November 6.
Eastham Salt Marsh, 17"w x 22"h
This small piece is the second salt marsh quilt I have made.  The first, "The Marsh Near First Encounter Beach," will be hanging in the judged show in the "Art: Abstract - Large" category.

I also donate to the Studio Art Quilt Associates' reverse online auction.  This wonderful event raises money for an organization very dear to my heart. SAQA is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to promote the art quilt through education, exhibitions, professional development, documentation and publications.  The auction is an annual event and is really fun.  The 12" x 12" quilts are broken into three sections.  Each section is available for one week and the price, which starts at $750, drops daily.   Of course, if you wait too long to bid, you risk losing the piece you want to buy.  My piece is in Section 2, and will be auctioned off starting September 26.
I buy several of these small pieces every year.  I can't resist -- there are some amazing pieces in the auction!  I have most of them hanging in my studio, a few in the hallway.  Someday I'll write a blog post about my collection.  Right now, I have my eye on one of the quilts in Section 1, which will end this weekend.

Another cause I contributed a quilt to this year is "Live Your Brightest Life: A Tribute to Yvonne Porcella", which debuts on September 24th at "Quilting in the Garden" at Alden Lane Nursery in Livermore, California.  Yvonne, who died earlier this year, was a pioneering art quilter and one of the founders of SAQA. Pokey Bolton, Alex Anderson and representatives from C&T Publishing will be at the opening.  Quilts will be sold to raise money for SAQA.   
JOY! 18"w x 26"h
There are other causes I believe in, of course, but it seems more appropriate to send money.  I still support my local animal shelter.

So Maria, I heartily agree with you.  Donate art where your heart is.  And someday I swear I will bid early enough to buy your SAQA auction quilt!

Comments

Julierose said…
Although I wouldn't classify my quilts a "art" in any way--I, too, don't like the idea of "Spot" or "Kitty" sleeping on my quilts...unless I make a specific scrappy quilt for them to use, of course (which I have done) .
I love your Saltmarsh quilt--it certainly brings Cape Cod to my mind--my hubby and I honeymooned there and have gone back for many years...beautiful work..hugs, Julierose