The weekend before I went to Arkansas, my studio looked like this:
|There is a sewing machine under there somewhere....|
|...and a 12' Gammill table under these piles. And a shelving unit under those small bins on the left wall.|
So, as I said, I decided to clean out the closet. But I had to put all of the stuff I pulled out of it, at least the stuff I wanted to keep, somewhere. Which means something else had to go.
Well, to be completely honest, I had fabric bins, sorted by color, that I hadn't opened in years. Novelty fabrics, big prints, all kinds of stuff that I just don't use. Many many many bins. Why did I buy all of it?
So it was a great time for to sort through all of the fabrics and art supplies. And like that my simple closet cleanup turned into a total studio reorganization.
It took me two weeks, but it's done. I gave all of the fabric I was never going to use away. It was easier than I thought. I contacted several churches and they were glad to have it. I gave some to a neighbor who is just learning to quilt. And some to a friend who is making quilts for policemen. I sorted through all of the supplies, got rid of the junk and organized everything. With the excess fabric gone I had enough shelf space left to store my rolled finished quilts. Wow! I'll actually be able to find them easily. I cleaned and scrubbed parts of the floor that I hadn't seen in ten years. And, finally, I'm done!
So a few pictures of my cleaned and organized studio:
|Behind the Gammill. The shelves are on the left. The green bags contain Christmas gifts waiting to be wrapped.|
|Standing next to the bookcase looking towards the cutting table and design wall.|
|Design wall and ironing station.|
|Looking over the Gammill towards the shelves.|
I am so ready to get back to work and to mess things up again. This time in an organized fashion...
|The closet that started it all. Nothing but clothing!|