Bruce

Bruce, me, Brian in Japan, Christmas Day, 2014
An hour after I arrived home from Houston I received a terrible phone call.  My brother-in-law, Brian's identical twin, had died at his home in Maryland.  It was sudden.  It was unexpected.  And it was a horrid blow.

Bruce and Brian were very very close.  Naturally.  I don't entirely understand the "twin bond," but it was eerie how much they thought alike.  And acted alike.  Brian is inconsolable.

At the moment, we are trying to keep moving.  Brian is the executor of the will and there is so much to do.  The pain is there, bubbling to the surface periodically, but working keeps it temporarily at bay.  Yesterday, I even spent a few hours in the studio.  Grabbing the scraps from my last project, cutting, sewing, ironing, not thinking.  The piece in progress is looking very jagged.  Echoing the turmoil in my head.

It will get better, I know it will.  And we will get through the overwhelming amount of work that needs to be done.  But Bruce, we will miss you.  The world will never be the same.

Comments

Louise said…
My deepest condolences on your loss. I can't imagine how difficult it must be for your family at this sad time.
Mary Kirwin said…
Heather I am so very sorry about Bruce. I feel you. My brother's death was also sudden and unexpected. Thirteen years ago and yes it gets better. If there's anything I can do, I'm here. Hugs to you and Brian.
Jaye said…
You know I am here for you for any reason...take care of yourself....hope to see you soon!