NTAQ in August: the results of our latest challenge

NTAQ's challenge for the month was Art Nouveau.  We were asked to choose a piece by any artist from the Art Nouveau movement and to make a quilt inspired by that artwork.

You may remember that I posted earlier about my feelings about Art Nouveau and about the piece I made for the challenge.  If you don't remember, you can read it here.  Let me just say briefly that I was less than enthusiastic about the challenge, but that I managed to make a piece that I liked.  Which, if you think about it, is the purpose of the challenge.  Finding something in someone else's art that sends you off in your own creative direction.  Inspiration, not emulation.

Members of the group chose from a wide variety of artists and media.  Andrea's piece (at the top of this post) was inspired by the genre in general.  She wasn't able to attend the meeting, but she sent her piece, and it is wonderful.  A very elegant motif.  I love it.

Wendy was inspired by Louis Comfort Tiffany:
Kay was inspired by an art nouveau style book cover:
She was especially struck by the trunks and branches of the trees:
Jaye was inspired by Mary Seton Watts, an artist and social reformer.  Watts designed, built, and maintained the Watts Mortuary Chapel in Compton, Surrey, England.  Jaye's chosen inspiration piece is a portion of the celtic stonework of the Chapel:
 Her quilt:
Bethany's piece was inspired by the genre, no specific artist:
My piece was inspired by the stained glass of Charles Rennie Mackintosh.  This is a window from the House of an Art Lover in Glasgow, Scotland:
 Pods, 12" x 27" (unquilted):
 And all of our pieces together:
I think we did very well this month.  Now, I need to get to work on September's challenge piece!

Comments