International Quilt Festival, Houston, Texas, 2018

I just came home from my 20th International Quilt Festival.  Isn't that amazing?  I attended my first IQF in 1996 right after I had moved to Houston from Midland, Texas.  And you can imagine -- small town quilter walks into the largest and most exciting quilt show in the world.  I was blown away!  So much so that I have only missed three IQFs in the years since.  

For the last 6 years I have been lucky enough to display my work during the show.  And this year was no exception.  I had quilts in two special exhibits, Dinner@8 and the new SAQA Global Exhibitions show "Metamorphosis."  Having quilts in the show certainly adds to the fun!

Part of the fun is connecting with old friends, like Karol, Maria and Lisa:
Part of the fun is seeing your work hanging in such a wonderful venue.  This is Water Music, my Dinner@8 quilt.  At the top of this post (and badly lit -- it looked good in person, but the light really created hotspots when photographing the quilt) is Rutile, my quilt in the SAQA Metamorphsis exhibit:
I had a lot of things going on during my time in Houston.  Four of my pieces  were in the "Stitched Construct" exhibit at Sabine Street Studios.   The exhibit is open until January 12.  Click on the link for directions to the Studios:
The Stitched Construct reception was well attended.  Thank you, Kim Ritter and Grace Zuniga, for curating such a wonderful exhibit and for inviting me to participate:
I also enjoyed the final Dinner@8 supper at The Pass & Provision.  What a wonderful group of artists!  It has been an honor to be among them.  Jamie Fingal and Leslie Tucker Jenison have put on some of the best exhibits at IQF for the past ten years:
Two friends won top awards.  Andrea Brokenshire won the award for Thread Artistry:
 Patty Kennedy-Zafred won the award for Innovative Artistry:
I led two gallery walks for the Metamorphosis exhibit:
I was Maria Shell's assistant during her Saturday Sampler demonstration:
 And I enjoyed all of the quilts and special exhibits.  One of my favorites was the sheer panels that were part of the "Power of Women" exhibit:
I'll post pictures of a few quilts tomorrow.

Comments

Norma Schlager said…
How exciting for you to have such a presence in the show. I went to the show for 14 years straight and had something in the show all those years, but now I haven't been in 4 or 5 years and have not entered. Not sure why. Perhaps I will go next year.
I wore your scarf the other day to many compliments.
Unknown said…
Heather -
Oh My Gosh. I'm so flattered that you took a photo of my very first quilt. It's the Goddess one second from the left in the Power of Women exhibit. I didn't make it to the show and had no idea how it would look and now I know. Thank you!
Would you give me permission to use your photo (and any others you have from that exhibit - my second quilt was Lilla in the lower section of the Power of Women exhibit) for my website?
If yes, I could give you my email address so you could send the photos directly there. Of course, I'd give you photo credit!
Thanks again. This was a pleasant surprise. Patty
Heather Pregger said…
Of course, Patty! I have a few more pictures, too. I'd love to send them to you, and feel free to use them! Just send me your e-mail address. I just put a "contact me" form on my blog page your can use.