The Reed and Barton Christmas Cross Tree!

I know I tell this story every year, but it is one of my favorite Christmas rituals.  So here it is again.

In 1971, my mother bought a sterling silver Christmas cross.  It was the premiere of a new series by Reed & Barton, an authentic reproduction of a cross designed by Gallicus in Prague in the 16th century. 
Galicia cross -- the first of the series
My mother loved that little cross.  It came wrapped in a velvet bag, with a brochure outlining the history of the design. It was elegant, historical and it looked great on the Christmas tree.
Every year, she ordered the new edition of the cross.  We were always excited to see the beautiful new designs, and to read about their origins.  In time she had so many that she hung them on their own small Christmas tree.  

When mom died, my brother Andrew and I decided to split up the crosses.  Mom had 32 at the time.  We agreed that I would take the crosses from the odd numbered years and Andrew would take the crosses from the even numbered years.  And that we would each continue the collections, me the odds, Andrew the evens.

Last year, 2017, Andrew gave me a new cross, inspired by the ceiling of Sainte Chapelle in Paris, France.  It features a fleur de lis and strong vertical lines, in the "Rayonnant" style of Gothic architecture.
I cherish my little tree full of crosses.  Every year, I take all of the ornaments out of their little bags, polish those that need polishing, read some of the history, and hang them on the small tree I bought just for them.  It's one of the Christmas rituals I truly enjoy, and I always am flooded by memories of Christmas with my mother.  I display it in my dining room: 
 Some of my favorite pieces:
2009
2013 
2005
1973 
1975
Every year, I arrange and rearrange the crosses.  And when I am finally happy with them, I put the tree on a table in the dining room.
Christmas is a time for memories.  And this little tree holds some of my favorites.

Comments

Vera Holmgren said…
Thanks for sharing, such a lovely story!
LA Paylor said…
what a wonderful tradition. The connection with your mom, now your mom and brother, a ritual shared. I like that 1975 year cross a lot but they are all so special. Ritual is important, pretty things are important, life continues even for the souls we can't see, so your mom could be looking on and smiling. Thanks for sharing your traditions with us. LeeAnna
Julierose said…
I just love those little crosses--and they are great for smaller type trees--what a wonderful tradition and warm memory of your Mom..hugs, Julierose
Louise said…
Beautiful tradition! When my goddaughter was born, a new series of Waterford crystal angel ornaments had just started. I gave her the new one each Christmas until she turned 18 and now she has a little tree full of them :)
Janice Smith said…
What a lovely tradition begun by your mom and now continued by you and your brother. That’s what Christmas memories are made of.
Sherwin Escuro said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sherwin Escuro said…
I was looking for a nice silver cross for a pendant and happened to see a 2005 Reed & Barton Christmas cross. I got curious and did a little research. Wow it looks amazing once you are able to collect a lot. Thanks for sharing your wonderful memories and photos!

Keep safe! God bless you and your family!