It was a week of fiber art group meetings!

On Friday, NTAQ met at Bethany's house.  The program for February was fabric painting with stencils, and Bethany demonstrated her ScanNCut machine.  It was very cool.  We all got literally covered with fabric paint.  And we all had a lot of work to show.  
First, Kay had three quilts, two featuring fabrics by Cherrywood and by Yoshiko Jinzenji:
Kay's challenge quilt was computer code for one of the components that make up her new knee: 
 Did I mention that we have decided to to a personal inspiration challenge in 2020?  Each one of us chose an inspiration source, and we will produce a quilt each month using our source as a jumping off point.  Bethany chose the moon,  Kay chose computer codes and numbers, Kerri chose aboriginal art, Rhonda chose fruits and vegetables, Michelle chose the work of Anni Albers and her students and I chose abstracted landscapes.  And, before you ask, I am already two months behind.  I hope to catch up after my two shows open in March.

Michelle's quilt was inspired by a student of Anni Albers.  It featured several woven sections:
 The woven sections were very cool:
 She hadn't been at the January meeting, so she also showed a piece based on a woven rug created by one of Anni's students:
 Wendy showed several quilts.  Like me, she is getting new work ready for the "Material Abstractions" show at the Fort Worth Community Art Center (it is a 2 person show), so the quilts she presented are destined for the show:
 This piece is in her mitosis series:
 Kerri showed her latest "Conversations" piece:
 Bethany's piece was based on the snow moon, the full moon of February:
 Bethany also showed an indigo shibori piece.  Very graphic:
As if NTAQ wasn't enough inspiration for one week, I also had a SAQA North Texas meeting.  The program for this meeting was hand stitching.  Several members demonstrated their techniques and patterns and then we sat and stitched.

Lots of work was shown, including this beautiful Tucson landscape by Jackie Nixon-Fulton:
SAQA North Texas has a monthly challenge this year as well.  And, once again, I am two months behind.  February's prompt was "winter", and some lovely work was shown:
So today, I'm back to work on the last new piece for my show at the Fort Worth Community Art Center.  It needs a little more quilting, and then I'll have to face it, label it and put on a sleeve.  The end is in sight!  Then perhaps I can catch up on a few challenges.  Or maybe I'll just grab a pile of fabric and see where inspiration takes me!

Comments

Susan Fletcher King said…
That was a treat to see everyone's work. Congratulations on your upcoming show!
Jaye said…
I sure am sorry I missed the meeting...just too many obligations this week!!! You all just had too much fun without me!!!
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.