Road Trip to Cleveland -- Part One

Last weekend my friend Rhonda and I took off for Ohio. Rhonda's son, Chris, is graduating from the Cleveland Institute of Music. She has been up to Cleveland many times to see him, and this was my last chance to go with her. It had been four years since I had been to my hometown (I haven't been back since my mother died) and I was happy to have an opportunity to return.

Sunday, our first night on the road, we drove to Memphis. We explored a bit, ate an Indian dinner and returned to the room. I needed to iron a shirt, so I pulled out the ironing board and iron. Rhonda calls this the "Lojack" model. The iron was tethered with a very short cord, and the base was bolted over the widest part of the ironing board. Very hard to iron with.

The second day, we made the short drive to Paducah. After a bit of a buying frenzy at both Hancocks of Paducah and at Eleanor Burns' store, we visited the Museum of the American Quilt Society. It was fabulous!

The third night we stayed in Columbus, Ohio, with my brother and his family. It was wonderful to see Andy, Jennifer and Dylan. They are perfect hosts, and we had a lovely visit.

Then it was on to Cleveland. Home of the Cleveland Browns, Indians, Cavaliers, the Cleveland Museum of Art and the Cleveland Orchestra. It was so good to be back!

I took the next picture for my brother Andy. Rhonda and I were driving down Mayfield Road and saw this van for sale in a car lot. I think Andy needs it. It's perfect for the Browns fan who has everything...and he does have quite an impressive collection of Browns memorabilia. But apparently he doesn't have EVERYTHING!

Chris lives in the Little Italy section of Cleveland, just a couple of miles down the road from the house I grew up in. As a teenager I took clarinet lessons at the Cleveland Institute of Music, and I can't tell you how many times I drove down Mayfield Hill. It's a wonderful neighborhood, full of friendly people and great restaurants.

Comments