Catching my breath

Brian and I spent mid-October visiting our friends Erik, Janet, Carolyn and Elena in Evergreen, Colorado. We managed to arrive near the end of the aspen season but there was still plenty of color in the lower elevations. In fact, we took several hikes on trails lined with golden foliage. It was marvelous! I wish I could capture the color of the aspens in a quilt.

By the time we left, though, the leaves were mostly down. Maybe it was the blizzard we had midway through our visit....howling winds and several inches of snow. Our last hike was very snowy.

A few pictures. Me and an aspen tree:

Carolyn in a tree:

Carolyn and Elena throwing snowballs at Brian:

Brian, Carolyn, Elena and I posing in front of Mt. Evans:
Golden aspens against a very blue sky:

A wonderful trip! But even more wonderful, perhaps, was the news we received the day after we got home. Brian's brother, Bruce, was coming to Fort Worth for a meeting. He arrived the next day and stayed with us for several nights. His meeting ended early on Tuesday, so he and I went to the Kimbell Art Museum to see the Impressionists exhibit. I had seen it before, but it was well worth a second look. The Kimbell has been hosting a large collection of paintings -- pre-impressionist, impressionist and post-impressionist -- from the Art Institute of Chicago. I am not a big fan of the impressionist style, but I love Van Gogh and Cezanne, and the famous "Two Sisters" by Renoir and "Paris Street, Rainy Day" by Caillebotte are amazing when seen in person.
We had time to visit the Modern Museum of Fort Worth as well. One of my favorite places.
Bruce left Wednesday morning, and I headed to International Quilt Festival in Houston with my friend Sue. We had a wonderful time, and I bought some lovely yarn. And buttons. Lots of buttons. I had been complaining to Sue that I couldn't find any striking buttons to use on my knitwear and journals, but there were buttons everywhere at Festival! Vintage and modern, I didn't care, I bought a bunch of them. Oh, and we saw some fantastic quilts! One of my friends, Kumiko Frydl, won a third place ribbon for her miniature quilt. Congratulations, Kumiko! And the Ami Simms Alzheimer Quilt auction was really cool -- lots of quilts made by my guild members were for sale as well as some stunning quilts made by Fanny Narte of Imagine, Create, Inspire!
I'm home now, and ready to get back to work. But first a couple of turtle pictures. First, all three of them. You don't usually have a chance to get a photo of all of them at once:
Secondly, Tug. Who wouldn't love that mug?

Comments