Cape Cod 2013

Brian and I are just home from our annual visit to Pop's home in Eastham on Cape Cod.  We had a wonderful time!

Our first day, we went to Chatham.  Brian and I spent our honeymoon there 34 years ago.
Pop and Brian at Chatham Beach

Chatham Light

The house we spent our honeymoon in.  Brian's great
aunt owned it at the time, and we stayed in the guest house.

Mill Pond, Chatham.  Brian's great aunt's house faced the pond.
I had always wanted to whale watch off Cape Cod.  The Stellwagen Bank Marine Sanctuary is just north of Provincetown, and is a great place to see several types of whales.  So we decided to take a whale watching cruise out of Barnstable Harbor with Hyannis Whale Watcher Cruises.  It was a fabulous day!
Our whale watching boat

The young humpback rolled over to get a look at us.

Mother (blowing) and baby humpback
We saw several baby/mother humpback pairs, a finback and a number of minke whales.  It was amazing!  And the boat ride itself was fun, riding through Cape Cod bay.  We could make out the cliffs of Eastham and Wellfleet, the lighthouse and beach at Provincetown, and the beautiful harbor at Barnstable.

Sandy Neck, Barnstable Harbor
And we visited all of our favorite places.
Nauset Light

Salt Pond, Eastham.  One of my favorite places on the Cape
I am endlessly fascinated by the salt marshes.  There are several in Eastham.
The marsh near First Encounter Beach, Eastham
Eastham Windmill Weekend is the weekend after Labor Day.  One of my favorite activities is the sand sculpting competition on First Encounter Beach.
Loved the seal!

Lobster Bake took best in show

First Encounter Beach, Eastham, at low tide

Boomer was glad to see us home!

Comments

Stitchwhiz said…
Great blog post! I've never set foot on Cape Cod but did have the pleasure of a whale watching cruise out of Gloucester, MA years ago. Your post also reminds me of the poetry of Mary Oliver. I think she lives there on the cape.
Jaye said…
What a great trip!! and wonderful pictures!! You really had a beautiful place to visit!!
Heather Pregger said…
Thanks, Mary and Jay! It was wonderful.

Mary, I love Mary Oliver. I haven't read her in a long time. I think I'll go find my copy of "Dream Works"