Taaa Daaaa!

It's done!  Tuning Fork #13 is finished!  And, I have to say, I'm very very glad that this particular journey is over.
Tuning Fork #13 -- 52" x 71" before facing
My main idea for this piece was to create a sense of layering.  I wanted the brilliant red to slash over the yellow field.  Yes, I know that yellow is a color that "comes forward."  But I wanted to make it recede by virtue of its position.

I finished quilting it on Tuesday, and then I decided the first thing I needed to do was catch up with some not just unfinished but unstarted projects.  First up: studioQ, the Fort Worth fiber group, has a monthly color challenge in 2014.  Each month, a member selects a photo and pulls the colors from it.  This is February's challenge: 
Rather sputnik-y, isn't it?  Roughly 13" x 18"
My sketchbook page with the original color chips and the photo of the completed top
 Today, I started my quilt for the SAQA benefit auction.  I want to see how small I can make those tuning forks.  Pretty small, apparently, some of the forks are 1 1/2" x 1" including their seam allowances.  They will be pretty small when sewn into the piece, which should finish about 12" x 12".
Tomorrow I need to ship String Theory to Quilt Visions 2014.  All in all, a good, productive week.

I'm linking this post to Nina-Marie's Off the Wall Friday, Richard and Tanya's Quilts Link a Finish FridayFriday Fabric FrenzyConfessions of a Fiber Addict and Crazy Mom Quilts Finish it up Friday.  Go see all the wonderful work there!

Comments

Colleen Kole said…
Oh my goodness- you make me seem like a slacker ! Congrats-
Cheryl said…
Oh my, your quilts are just stunning! I love them!
Sharon Rotz said…
I think you have accomplished your goal in Turning Fork. I think the red definitely looks like it is in front of the yellow. All of your work is inspiring. Wonderful job.
LA Paylor said…
A productive week??? I'll say!
LeeAnna Paylor
lapaylor.blogspot.com
Heather: Beautiful work! The yellow is just stunning in that design. Love it.
Jaye said…
Lovely, lovely!! BTW I am hosting studioQ this month at my new digs..info to follow!
Norma Schlager said…
I love Tuning Fork 13. It just seems to shimmer.
Jessica said…
Wow. Very cool quilts! Great job. :)
Nina Marie said…
Gorgeous as always - just know that I pretty much think that every time I see your posts week to week!!
Joy said…
Love the look of this quilt. To me, it looks like Winnie the Pooh through a rain soaked window.

Regina B Dunn said…
Tuning Fork 13 has such reflective qualities. Fantastic.
Tina in Boston said…
Absolutely beautiful! I think the red really does come forward. I love the tuning fork idea.