Thursday, August 20, 2015

New Work

This week I've been trying to work my way through the pile of unquilted tops.  I love piecing and I freely admit that sometimes I put off the quilting until a deadline is looming.  I'd much rather start on a new piece, planning, choosing fabrics, laying out the pieces, sewing them together....but eventually the tops need to be quilted.  For example, when you have entered them in a show that is coming up in a couple of weeks.  So I have been quilting like a madwoman.

I just finished this one about an hour ago.  I haven't measured it, just trimmed it, hung it and photographed it.  It is roughly 34" x 30".  Or something like that.  It is the second quilt in my new "Mineralogy" series, called Metaperidotite #2, based on sketches of mineral thin sections I drew many years ago as a geology student.
I finished this next piece yesterday.  It is roughly 25" x 34".  I made it with leftover scraps from a quilt called "Orbital Plane #1" which I cannot show because the show I have entered will disqualify it if it is shown online prior to the exhibit.
Subdivisions #12
I'm linking this post to Nina-Marie's Off the Wall Friday, Richard and Tanya's Quilts Link a Finish FridayFriday Fabric FrenzyConfessions of a Fiber Addict and Crazy Mom Quilts Finish it up Friday.  Go see all the wonderful work there!

9 comments:

Vera Holmgren said...

Lovely! Very interesting colors.

katyquilts said...

Beautiful! I have moved away from improv work in recent years but feel it calling me back!

Julie said...

Love your colors in the improv! I also save some of my scraps according to what quilt they were used in. It does make it easier to recoordinate. There are so many fabrics that key me into a specific project I've done, though, and I feel like I'm recreating the same quilt. I usually try to mix it up with another to keep things fresh.

Shannon said...

The pops of pink in your metaperiodate 2 quilt are so fabulous and unexpected. Awesome! Good luck with all your other quilting.

Jayne said...

I love improv and your piece is amazing! The colors and design is inspiring!

Cut&Alter said...

Your mineralogy series will be stunning if this piece is anything to go by - awesome!

Sharon Robinson said...

I love that minerology piece. Just curious - do you enter your quilts into shows before you have quilted them?

Angela said...

Nice work!

Teresa Duryea Wong said...

Love your newest piece. And can't wait to hear about the other one you've entered. Good luck.

Sign up for my studio newsletter