New Work!

This month, NTAQ was given a painting by Fernand Leger, "Woman with a Cat," 1921.   An interesting piece in the collection of the Met.  The copy I worked from doesn't do it justice.  You can see the original painting here. 
First, I made a paper collage abstracting the piece into something I might possibly be able to piece:
I decided that I liked the collage better if I cropped it a bit.  Here is the page from my sketchbook, with a slight crop of the collage on the bottom right.

(To be completely honest, I just didn't want to piece the whole thing.  Call me lazy.  And cropping made it a bit more dramatic.  At least that is what I told myself.....)
The final pieced top is below.  It is 23" x 29", unquilted.
I think I like it better in this orientation:
What do you think?

I also pieced in a very small yellow and black line near the bottom of the piece.  I'm not sure why I did that, and I think, looking at it now, that I need to either remove it or make it thicker.  Not sure which.

So, once again, I was faced with an empty design wall.  And some pressing projects to work on.  Things I really need to get done.  So did I get right to work on the things I need to do?  No, of course not.  I decided to create a piece from another of my paper collages.
Paper collage
And of course, I thoroughly enjoyed making this piece.  I finished piecing it yesterday.  
Rhythm and Blues, currently 49" x 65", unquilted
I feel like I've been playing hooky, making paper collages and then piecing quilts based on them.  I like this way of working.

I now have an largish pile of tops to be quilted.  Guess what I'm doing today?

Comments

Maria Shell said…
Good work! I think you are on to a series--art inspired collage turned in to quilts!
Julierose said…
I like the 2nd orientation...this is a great improv piece...hugs, Julierose
Vickie Wheatley said…
Love your abstraction. Are you making paper collages and piecing today?