A Week on the Wild Side on Denman Island, British Columbia

I got home last weekend from a retreat/workshop with Maria Shell on beautiful Denman Island, off the coast of Vancouver Island.  It was so much fun!

The event was run by ArtLeap, owned by Barb Mortell and headquartered in Nanaimo, BC, a lovely harbor town on Vancouver Island.

I had dithered with the idea of either doing an independent study or taking Maria's workshop, a mashup of "Making Prints Out of Solids" (based on her book Improv Patchwork - Dynamic Quilts Made With Line and Shape) and "Blow It Up!".  I love the book, and thought it would be fun to explore her methods for piecing patterned fabric.  So I decided to do a mashup of my own -- to start with Maria's instructions and to see where they took me.  With any luck I would veer off in my own direction.

My main reasons for going were twofold:  to spend time with a couple of good friends and to see Vancouver Island and Denman Island.   A new part of the world for me to explore.

My week in pictures:
Flying over the Rocky Mountains on the way to Vancouver
Maria, Colleen and I have a quick drink before we get on the float plane to Nanaimo 
The float plane!  So cool!  I'd never been on one. 
Looking out the window as we near Nanaimo.
Barb and Kathy picked us up and drove us North(ish) to the ferry to Denman Island
Dramatic clouds over Buckley Bay
My home for the week.  Arbutus Ridge B & B
I slept in the loft.  No window coverings.  Every morning I woke up to this view across Buckley Bay towards Vancouver Island
It was especially beautiful at sunrise (even though my view was looking West it was still beautiful)
The Guesthouse Bistro on Denman.  We drank lots of coffee there 
The food was locally catered and both beautiful and delicious 
Maria at work 
Our first assignment was to make stripes and polka dots
We set up our sewing machines at the Denman Island Community Center.  It was a great place to work and we had a great group of people
Maria worked hard
One of my housemates, Linda.  
My other housemate, Sue.
I took my polka dots and stripes and made two small pieces.   
After the workshop ended, we spent a couple of nights with Barb and Kathy in Nanaimo.  And we found a giant tuning fork!  I felt right at home!
Barb asked Colleen, Maria and me to create watercolor self portraits. 
Barb and Kathy.  Great hosts!
Maria, Barb, Colleen and I on our last night
Flying home to Texas.  Vancouver from the air
The Great Salt Lake is red violet!  
Bad weather in Dallas.  We couldn't land and were eventually diverted to Austin.  Made it home at 4 am  
My suitcase had a much longer trip.  But finally, 5 days later, the prodigal suitcase returned!

Comments