The Very First Tuning Fork

Tuning Fork #1, 41" x 58", © 2010,
collection of the International Quilt Museum, Lincoln, NE

The very first of my Tuning Fork series, now 57 quilts strong, was started in a class with Nancy Crow, "Sets and Variables", in 2010.  The assignment was to choose a  basic "motif" (or unit), to make very small and very large versions of it, and to create a composition using those units.  And only those units.  I came up with the tuning fork motif.  I chose it because it was relatively easy to piece and very easy to distort -- I could lengthen it, truncate it, make it teeny tiny, make it huge.  I became very excited about the possibilities of the tuning fork, and I've been playing with it ever since.

This quilt is now in the collection of the International Quilt Museum in Lincoln, Nebraska, along with two other quilts from the tuning fork series.  I am very excited and extremely honored to have pieces in their permanent collection.  I'll talk more about the other two in a future post

Comments

Vilhelm man said…
Hello!
Come And Get Free Beautiful Animated Gifs For Your Blog.
Vera Holmgren said…
Love your Tuning Fork series! Thanks for sharing your story.
Congratulations, Heather!!