Hottest week of the summer (so far)...

And the air conditioning unit that cools the second floor couldn't take it.  It ceased to function on June 22.

We do have another unit that cools the first floor of our house, so we didn't suffer too much.  We can eat, sleep and generally hang out downstairs without a great deal of inconvenience.  So as temperatures soared up over 100 degrees, we managed to stay comfortable.

But as far as I was concerned, it was a horrible week.  My studio, you see, is on the second floor.  I ventured up several times, just to see if it was possible to work in the early mornings or late evenings.  It was not.  One evening the temperature in my studio was actually 98 degrees.  So I spent my days on the first floor, cleaning out cupboards and closets, and generally feeling totally uncreative.

How did people live in Texas before air conditioning?

Comments

Rhonda said…
We didn't have air conditioning in most schools until I got to junior high. We had fans, and wet brown paper towels. I bet the schools were smelly places then.

Sorry about the upstairs unit. Once it is replaced, I hope you have a very cool studio to work in.
I grew up in San Antonio, and we didn't have any air conditioning until I was about 9 years old. The only problems I remember were trying to go to sleep at night when it was in the mid 90s.