3 Cities #1

I finally finished my quilt for the SAQA Texas exhibit, "A Texas Experience."   Here it is:

3 Cities #1, 12" x 12", 2013
No overtly Texan, is it?  As an abstract art quilter, I just couldn't do something realistic.  I tried, honestly, and it felt very false.  So instead, I thought about my life in Texas and came up with this.

The artist's statement to accompany the quilt:

I'm not a native Texan, but I've been here for 31 years.  The three squares in "3 Cities" represent my three Texas homes.  To the left is Midland, hard edged and very bright.  The southernmost city is Houston, softer, wetter and a very exciting place to live.  The square on the right is Fort Worth, my current home, a city I have fallen in love with.

If you live in Texas, are a SAQA member and are interested in submitting a quilt to the traveling exhibit, click here for the prospectus.  The postmark date on entries has been moved to September 30.

I'm linking this post to Nina-Marie's Off the Wall Friday, Richard and Tanya's Quilts Link a Finish Friday and Crazy Mom Quilts Finish it up Friday.  Go see all the wonderful work there!

Comments

Sylvia said…
I love your abstracts! This piece turned out wonderfully!
Regina B Dunn said…
I love abstracts and your artist statement that goes with it adds meaning to it.
Julierose said…

your abstract is lovely--colorways fantastic! Beautiful work, Julierose