Road Trip to the Texas Quilt Museum

My friends Jay, Rhonda, Linda and I headed to La Grange, Texas, last week to see the Sue Benner exhibit, "Circling the Square," at the Texas Quilt Museum.  It had been a long time since I'd been on a road trip with the girls!  

The weather was beautiful, and the drive south from Fort Worth was lovely.  The bluebonnets were past their peak, but the indian paintbrush was in full bloom and the landscape was very lush.  We've had a wet spring this year (thank goodness!) and the countryside is very green. 

Our first stop was in Giddings. We spotted the 290 Coffee Shop and stopped for a tasty lunch, as well some really good coffee.  Best I've had in a long while. 
 
 After a quick stop at a quilt shop in Giddings, we headed to La Grange and the museum.  I love the museum gardens!

Rhonda and Jay, with Linda in the background
The exhibit was wonderful.  It featured a range of Sue's quilts from 1993 to the present, and I found following the evolution of her work over time very interesting.  Her current work was well represented, and it was lovely to have an opportunity to examine each piece up close.  It was very exciting.

We spent the night in La Grange and headed home via Round Top and Brenham.  First, pie for breakfast at Royer's in Round Top:
We bought four different types and passed them around the table.  Royer's is well known for their pies.  And deservedly so.  Delicious!
 Our next stop was the Antique Rose Emporium in Brenham.  I found this rose trellis enchanting.  Too bad I don't have enough room in my yard to construct one like it!
 When Brian and I lived in Houston, we often went to the ARE.  They are known for their huge variety of roses, but they also feature many native perennials, annuals and vines.  And the demonstration gardens are beautiful.
We all bought roses.  And a few other plants.  We had to wedge them in the back of the car between the bags of fabric.  But we made them fit!
 We headed back north by way of Georgetown.  Slightly out of the way, but we wanted to have lunch at the Monument Cafe.  I'm told it was featured on "Diners and Drive-ins."  Really good, although really hearty, food.
And then one last stop in Salado.  The others went to the quilt store, but by that time I'd had enough fabric shopping.  So I did a vertical tasting of Olive Oils.  And I thoroughly enjoyed them!  I ended up taking two bottles home with me.
It was a great getaway!  I hope I get to leave on another girls' road trip sometime soon!

Comments

Norma Schlager said…
It looks like a wonderful trip. I love Sue Benner's work, so the exhibit must have been fabulous.
Maria Shell said…
Road trips are so much fun. I don't get to do them much up here. We really only have one road in and out of town....
Jaye said…
Great pictures! Great trip! And my black eye doesn't show up too badly! Speaking of hearty food...deep fried broccoli does not reheat real well!!!
Stitchwhiz said…
Love road trips with the girls especially exploring small Texas towns. I'm planning a trip to LaGrange with some of my girls soon. Good tips all around.