Fossils!

I have always been fascinated by fossils.  Growing up (and studying geology) in Ohio, I spent hours searching for brachiopods and trilobites in the state's dolomites and limestones.  As an adult, I've not had many chances to collect fossils, but I have started to buy unusual pieces for my collection.

Most of my collection fits (admittedly crowdedly) on one shelf.
The largest trilobite is Andalusiana, a Cambrian trilobite.  He was collected in Morocco.  Of course, I didn't go to Morocco to get him -- I bought him at a mineral show in San Antonio.  He is about 9 inches from nose to tail.
In the picture below, the guy in the back row on the left is Scabriscutellum, a Devonian trilobite.  Back center (with the eye stalks) is an Asaphus, an Ordovician trilobite.  Back right is a Proteida, also Ordovician:
The guy right up front and center is an Isotelus maximus, an Upper Ordovician trilobite from Ohio:
Isotelus is the state fossil of the State of Ohio.  Cool, Huh?

My brother in law gave me a fossil crab for Christmas.  And that's another Isotelus to the left of the crab.
This is a brittle star, an Ordovician echinoderm:
There are lots more pieces in my collection. More types of trilobites, more echinoderms, ammonites, gastropods, brachiopods, fish, crinoids and leaves.  And I'm always on the lookout for more.  But, I'll admit it, I love the trilobites the best!
SaveSave

Comments