NTAQ March Meeting -- with a bit of Miro

The North Texas Art Quilters met at Jaye's house yesterday for part three of our strip/improv piecing study.  Wendy and I have been leading the way this quarter, handing out assignments of progressive difficulty involving strip piecing.  Assignment one, month one, was in black and white.  Several members had reworked their black and white pieces and shared them at the meeting:
Aren't they wonderful?

The assignment for February, due at the March meeting, was to add a bit of color.  And to try to use both flat, dead colors and bright glowing colors.  The first piece is by Bethany.  And it glows!  She made some lovely configurations, too:
 Michelle added a few curves in her first piece, on the left.  I think it is very effective:
 Wendy went wild with color!  Her diamond shapes are so cool!
 Kerri's piece is wonderful.  I love her layering of figures, and I love that big figure in the bottom left:
 Jay went with a single black background.  Her piece shows a really nice use of gradations of color:
The assignment for this month was to add a little more complication, and to do a little more messing about with the strip sets.  I am looking forward to seeing what everyone can do!

The group inspiration challenge for March was a painting called La Marche pénible guidée par l’oiseau flamboyant du désert (The Sorrowful March Guided by the Flamboyant Bird of the desert) April 4, 1968, by Joan Miró:
We had a great time with it!  My piece started with the most beautiful curve I have every pieced, which I subsequently chopped into smithereens.  I'm not sure what possessed me.  I decided the end result looked like a sail boat, and I have named it "Red Sail":
But I still miss my beautiful curve....

Kay's piece is wonderfully effective.  I love her use of the spiral, and the slight offset:
 Jaye couched yarn and did a lot of hand stitching on her piece.  Very elegant:
Wendy squared off the cogged wheel on the right of the painting:
 Michelle's piece is wonderful.  I love the busy blue circle:
 Bethany played with the different elements:
 And all of them together.  I am amazed at how far we are getting from the original inspiration pieces.  Very cool!
I'm heading up to the studio to work on next month's challenge, a piece by Mark Rothko.  One of my favorite artists, his work looks deceptively simple.  It should be a wonderful artistic stretch to come up with a piece inspired by Rothko.

Comments