Layers Upon Layers with Carol Soderlund

Week two with Carol was even more exciting than the first week.  Which means it was really really exciting.  But first, a disclaimer:
What happens in the Barn stays in the Barn!
 Carol's "Layers Upon Layers" class focused on screen printing.  A very versatile way to make patterns on fabric.
We began with deconstructed screen printing, also known as breakdown printing.  To start, we painted our screens with a couple of colors of thickened dye (I used chinese red and black) and placed some interestingly shaped objects on top.  The idea was to give our screens a little texture:
We let the screens dry overnight:
And then we printed.  I added some clear dye paste to pull across the screen.  With each pull, more of the dried dye rehydrated and printed the fabric:
The result was a very interesting piece of textured fabric:
I filled in some of the lighter spots with orange-yellow thickened dye.  Two closeups of my finished fabric:
I enjoyed this technique so much that I did it again.  With even more objects imbedded on my silk screen.  I didn't get a picture of the screen before printing, but here are two closeups of the fabric I printed:
We used corn dextrin paste to paint a pattern on our screens.  We let them dry in the sun:
I had painted mine with rectangles.  The places I had painted stayed white (which I later painted yellow).  The places that were not painted printed with this brownish color:
We learned how to make a paper lamination stencil using newspaper, sheer organza and matte medium.  I decided to make the "negative" of my corn dextrose screen (above).  Here is my screen, after I'd used it to print several pieces of fabric.  The newspaper stained a bit orangey:
 This stencil let the dye through the rectangles and blocked the dye from coming through the "lattice":
I liked this one so much, I used it several times.  I love this red and orange one on cotton voile:
I used both the corn dextrose screen and the paper lamination stencil on this piece, so that I got both the positive and the negative image of the rectangles, printed with brown upon a yellow-green piece of fabric:
We used a lot of other techniques, such as batiking with soy wax.  Messy but fun:
We used torn masking tape to create patterns on our screens:
I did lots of monoprinting.  To do so I painted a pattern on a 9" x 12" piece of plexiglas and used that to stamp my fabric:
We used thermofax screens to print on our fabric:
At the end of the week, I had printed eighteen yards of fabric.  Mostly pimatex cotton, with a few pieces of cotton voile and silk organza.  It made for quite an impressive wall:
If you get a chance to take a class from Carol, do it!  She's a fabulous teacher, whether teaching about immersion dyeing or surface design techniques!


Comments