A Few More Finishes

I thought I'd post a few more of the masterpiece challenge quilts that I have finished.  To be honest, I just quilted two of them this morning.  But it is fun to see the original inspiration piece next to my interpretation.  So here goes.

The first is a piece by David Bates, a Dallas painter.
My version:
Blue Bouquet, 15"w x 20"h
Next is a piece by Gustave Caillebotte, "The Yerres, Effect of Rain."  The Kimbell Museum of Fort Worth hosted a Caillebotte retrospective earlier this year, and Jay fell in love with it.
I don't usually attach things to my quilts, but I couched circles of ribbon to represent the patter of the rain.
Rain on the River, 15"w x 20"h
Next is a painting by George Stubbs, "Whistlejacket":
As an abstract artist, I wasn't sure what to do with this piece.  And then I decided to make an abstracted, semi-sort-of-cubist, horse.  Slashing it a few times with the rotary cutter helped immensely.  So if you look closely at my piece, very closely, and use a great deal of imagination, you can sort of see a horse.  Perhaps if you squint a bit...
Sort of a Horse, 15" w x 20"h
The last one is inspired by a painting by Piet Mondrian from the permanent collection of the Kimbell.  It is called "Abstraction."

This one grew a little beyond the standard challenge size.  And, yes, it is composed of tuning fork units. But they are deconstructed.  
"T" With Mondrian, 22"w x 28"h
The masterpiece challenge has been just that, a challenge.  I had decided at the beginning of the challenge that I would use the palette of the chosen piece of art.  I try hard not to make a literal copy of the painting, but instead I look at the piece and pull out elements that I like and try to use those as the structure of my composition.  Are all successful?  No, but they are a great learning experience and it has been a lot of fun.

 I'm linking this post to Nina-Marie's Off the Wall FridayFriday Fabric Frenzy and Confessions of a Fiber Addict. Go see all the wonderful work there!

Comments

Lynda said…
What a great challenge! Loved them all but especially the second one with the couched ribbon. I need to try a challenge like this. Thanks for the inspiration.
Norma Schlager said…
I think you nailed it. Great pieces, all.
Unknown said…
These are fabulous! What an exciting way to work!
You met the challenge straight on! Great job!
Shannon said…
This is great! All your pieces feel like your work and yet the inspiration is clear. Thanks so much for sharing!
Colleen said…
this is my first visit to your blog. Wow, beautiful quilts ! Very interesting to see the inspiration for the quilt.
Maria Shell said…
I love seeing all of these together. What a great challenge!
Wendy said…
This is my first visit as well. I am impressed with your work!
Vera Holmgren said…
Really interesting! I do love your work!
I love your tuning fork interpretation of the Mondrian painting!
Sarah Craig said…
Your interpretations are really interesting - I particularly love the first one, and the Mondrian-inspired one is wonderful too! Thanks so much for sharing, and whoop whoop!!